THE RHUBARB WAY OF BRIGHTENING YOUR DAY
Week three and it’s an Easter like no other. An eggcellent theme runs through this weeks tips, recipes and favourite activities for this week.
First up, we are giving an incredible bunch of volunteers a shout out. They have come together with one aim: making local produce directly accessible to consumers. They are collating the best of the best farmers and suppliers who supply the hospitality industry, and are now ready and waiting to provide you with beautiful ingredients for home-cooking, delivered to your door.
Sarah Hammond has shared her family favourite for this weekend; her delicious Easter cake recipe. It couldn’t be easier with only 1 weight measurement to remember and a selection of flavours suggestions. The cake is stylishly topped with an easter nest, filled with what else but Cadbury’s mini eggs.
RECIPE: Sarah's Easter Nest Cake
First weigh your 4 eggs (shell and all), this total weight will then dictate all other ingredients for your cake. Therefore all your ingredients (total eggs, sugar, magazine and flour) should weigh the same.
Soft margarine (preferably Flora)
I tablespoon boiling water
Easter nest topping:
2 pillows of shredded wheat
I large bar of dark chocolate
I tablespoon of golden syrup
For sponge (2x 20cm tins)
- 1. Line the tins ready for use.
- 2. In a mixing bowl cream the margarine and sugar, until they are white, *this is the most important stage.
- 3. Gently fold in the eggs, hardly beat at this stage,* don’t worry if it looks curdled or lumpy.
- 4. Fold in the flour, again gently.
- 5. Add boiling water and stir once more.
- 6. Place in the cakes tins leaving a dip in the middle to stop uneven raising.
- 7. Place in oven 180c or gas mark 6 for 15-20 mins, until light and springy to touch.
- 8. Be careful not to over cook as the cake will dry out.
- 9. Once cooked, remove from the tin and place on a cooling rack. Cover with damp tea towel to cool.
- 10. Melt the chocolate and syrup for the easter nest, then scrunch in shredded wheat.
- 11. Mould the shredded wheat mixture into a nest structure to put on the top of your cake, filled with mini eggs.
COOKING TIPS: Sourcing flour is not always easy during lockdown. You can use plain flour and add baking powder, gluten free flour, add a touch more boiling water as gluten free flour is much heavier to work with.
FLAVOURS: LEMON: At stage 5, exchange water for the juice of 2 lemons and grated rind of 1. When cake is removed from the oven drizzle the cake with the juice & grated rind of 1 lemon with a teaspoon of castor sugar dissolved in it. Serve with lemon curd and crème fraiche. CHOCOLATE: Swap out 1/3 of the flour for cocoa powder and still add boiling water.
Happy memories of Hammond Easters x
The National Theatre is one of the many, amazing arts organisations giving us free access to their incredible archives. National Theatre at Home is an initiative for the theatre to continue their work “through these difficult times”, said executive director Lisa Burger. Head to their YouTube channel to view.
Jane Eyre, directed by Sally Cookson, April 9, 7pm
Treasure Island, adapted by Bryony Lavery, April 16, 7pm
Twelfth Night, starring Tamsin Greig, April 23, 7pm
You can still watch One Man Two Guvnors until April 9
Cocktails? We thought so. Our friends at Wessex Gin have the best recipes for beautiful, classic gin cocktails from their signature distill. With no more that 4 ingredients, its time to get the cocktail shakers and stirrers out.
Our talented Creative Assistant Beth shows us here how to create beautiful hand-painted eggs for Easter. Hang on table centre of twigs and foliage or hand paint name places for your family for this Sunday. Click here to view:
We have got an Easter cake, we have got table decorations and we have got cocktails. No we need music. Who else would we suggest but ALR music? Head to @ALRmusic’s instagram or search ‘alexleroux’ on Spotify to enjoy their isolation soundtrack.
LOOKING FOR MORE
Our instagram is updated daily with more of our favourite things to explore, view and do. Take a look...INSTA-WORTHY RHUBARB